Saturday 8 November 2008

Floodlit Fun


I like Mondays...

For the past two Mondays Newcastle have been on the telly, the satellite stations have decreed that Newcastle should form part of their early evening 'entertainment' - and wonder of wonders the Toon have managed to put together back to back wins. As it stands at the moment we are luxuriating in 14th position in the league and the Mackems are in their rightful place... below us.

I've always loved evening games. Its the feeling generated by rushing away from work with a sense of excitement, walking to a ground and seeing it illuminated in the distance, wrapped up against the elements and knowing that this evening will be filled by football. Two particular evening games stick in my memory, one was Toon v Juventus in 2002. It was, I think, the first Champions League game that I'd been too, a tremendous game, with the most unlikely goalscorer - Andy Griffin. The other was even longer ago - Toon v Spurs in the FA Cup reply in Dec 1999. Memorable for the 6-1 scoreline, but also a wonderful goal by a talented young player called Dyer (I wonder whatever happened to him?) and getting numerous hugs from complete strangers filled with pre-Christmas cheer as we left the ground. Special because it was floodlit - special because the entertainment was spectacular.

As for the Villa game on Monday, well, lets say that times have changed, along with my expectations. I fully expected a loss as Villa are challenging the "big four" ( Sky) but what I hadn't factored in was how poor Villa were. Then again Newcastle/Villa games often are like this for some reason. So, it wasn't spectacular, but the three points gained (thanks entirely to Martins and Gutierrez) made the floodlit Monday night special.

That said, Joey Barton is one quarter footballer, three quarters complete idiot. Appropriately for a match near bonfire night, he allowed for his fuse to be lit, thrashed around like a demented catherine wheel and then came close to exploding over a nothing incident with Abonglahor. I hope JFK has the sense to give Barton a rocket (OK, I'm going to stop now... I sound like a cheesy tabloid journalist, an analogy isn't worth doing unless you push it far to far...). Barton's going to self-destruct again...soon. Please will someone stop him??

Tomorrow, Fulham away... on the telly...fingers crossed...again

5 comments:

MaryKwizMiz said...

after lunch, when I dressed for the game, I kept thinking that I hadn't had the feeling of anticipation and excitement in a long time, I enjoyed consciously and meticulousy preparing for the afternoon in the pub, with fellow mags, and for the thrill and possible joy.. for a while I feared I had lost that.. great feeling, tho only second to getting ready for the trip to SJP..
hope we'll get something to shout and sing about today..
as for Pinheed, I was talking to a West Ham fan the other night and the topic of Toon hand-me-downs came up.. he had totally forgotten that they actually still had wee Kieron on their books...pity somehow

Michael said...

After Villa, you just knew they'd lose the next game with a defensive error and a controversial penalty. I wish we weren't so predictable.

MaryKwizMiz said...

I've had it - from now on I'll lower my expectations to finishing last. If you predict defeats you can't get disappointed.. At least we won't be on telly for a while...

Unknown said...

Things are looking up, eh?

Gutted you beat us on my birthday, but I expect you'll climb up the table a bit over the next few weeks as things even themselves out.

Thoughts on JFK?

Karen Toon said...

Chris - thoughts on JFK... Wouldn't have chosen him, didn't want him, isn't long term... But he's ours and he is having an effect on the team in a positive way. He's developing the siege mentality that will be needed to get us out of the mire. Whether he's good enough to do that time will tell. At least he's got the players playing some type of football again...

As for your Toon sized birthday present - we needed the points more that Villa did. And it showed. Villa will make Europe again this season, but I can't see it being via the Champions League.